Monday, June 23, 2014

Becoming a senior companion...

June 16, 2014

Thanks for the birthday wishes!!!

So tomorrow I am going to have another new companion.  Elder De Lama is going to reopen an area that was closed a couple months ago for his last week! He is going to live in our house still, until they find one there, so he has to travel 1 hour just to get to his area every day..... I am going to stay in the same area with Elder Sims, I think he has like 6 months or so in the mission!! I'm super excited to help him develop as a missionary and I'm sure we're gonna go baptize the world!!! It's gonna be crazy for a while because we are going to have 6 missionaries in a house of 4, but some how we're gonna make it work!!

We haven't had a lot of contact with the peoiple we have been teaching because it seems that they are just never home, but this week we are gonna have the whole week to work and it's gonna be great!!! We have 1 investigator that could be getting baptized in the next 2 weeks. His name is Francisco. He is 79 years old and let's just say he likes talking, a lot.... He is a great guy, but he is very difficult to teach... He feels like he knows everything that we are trying to teach him, so that's our biggest problem with him, but we'll get there.

We had the oppurtunity to listen to Elder Cabrera, a 70, and Pres Lyn G. Robins, Presidency of the 70, this week!!! It was incredible. Pres Robins started off by talking about the Spirit and how we don't convert the people, but the spirit does, so we need to make sure we are teaching by the spirit! Then he left the time to answer any question and well he only had time to answer 3 questions, but it was incredible how much knowledge he has!!!! It really makes me want to just soak in talks from the church and scriptures!!!! One day I hope to be at that level that I can answer all types of question using the scriptures!!! We also had the interviews with Pres and it was incredible to see how much he cares for us!!!

Over all this week I think I learned that even when we don't feel the Spirit, it is there with us!!! We just have to learn how to recognize it and when it leaves us, so we can change our actions! This week we are going to see miracles and thanks for everything!!!!

Love you all and thanks for all you do!!!!

--
Love,
Elder Oliver


My new companion is funny :) and a testimony!

June 23, 2014

Thanks for the birthday wishes!!! It went great! We played some sports in the church and then on Tues the Hermanas in our district brought some delicious brownies so it was a pretty good birthday!!! I can finally leave on the mission now..... that's crazy!!! I haven't gotten my packages yet, but I should tonight so I'm super excited!!!

Elder Sims is super awesome!!!! He's 18 years old and lived in West Jordan moved to Bluffdale and then moved back to West Jordan!!! Pretty crazy right!! We actually have some friends in common! He is super funny and super awesome!!! It helps to have a comp that has a ton of comedy acts from Brian Regan, Bill Cosby, Dane Cook and others memorized!!! He has 6 months in the mission so he is still working on his confidence a little bit, but heck, by the end of this change he'll be able to train if he needs to!! He's a great guy! Luckily the other guys moved out of the house so it's just the 4 of us again!!!

Francisco is being a little rough... He kind of does remind me of Dad. I really love him, but he talks a ton and thinks he knows everything so it's super hard to teach him... He also didn't go to church this week so we're gonna fix that! We have some good plans to use a ton of members with him and watch a lot of movies so he'll stop talking!!!

It was interesting, Sunday the members opened up to me more!!! Maybe it's because I've live in this ward for 6 months,,,, longer than I lived in wards in the states, maybe it's because I was a lot happier??? or maybe it's because they finally realized that I have stayed here and have had 3 comps leave, but I'm super excited to work with the members more! That was our week!!!! Love you all and thanks!!!

Also, things I have learned this week is the Spirit is always there, we just have to recognize it!!!! I really learned that as I read the BoM I need a question on a paper, in my study journal, and I need to write down all of my impressions, if I don't write down and follow the impressions of the Lord, why is he gonna give me more???? So I have really have been doing that this week and I don't think I have felt the Spirit more, but I surely have recognized a lot more impressions!!! Also, this week  I trulty have recognized the importance of the BoM, I was actually just reading this talk this morning and it was incredible!!!!!

 https://www.lds.org/ensign/1986/11/the-book-of-mormon-keystone-of-our-religion

I especially liked the quote from Pres Marion G. Romney,

“I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives,bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness” (Ensign, May 1980, p.67).

I have a strong testimony of the BoM and I would like to invite all of you to read it, ponder and pray about it like it says in Moroni 10:3-5!!!! "Just do it" once  a famous quote by Nike!!! If you have that testimony of the BoM it will strengthen it!!!! If you lack that testimony you will receive it!!! I don't think I did this challenge until the mission and then my answer came to me the first time I testified about this book! I hope you all can learn of the importance of the BoM like I have and like Pres Benson exhorts!!! That's my missionary rant for the day!

Thanks for the email mom!!! It's sad, but Elder _____  mom doesn't really ever write him anything so I'm super happy I always had a letter from you!! It helps me out a ton!! I'm glad you guys are all doing good and moving soon!!! You guys are doing some exciting things!!!! Send me some current pics and some pics of the house when you can!!!! Love you guys!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment